Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The introverted crossfit coach

As a crossfit coach or trainer in general I would conclude that person would benefit from being extroverted as defined by wikipedia 
"the act, state, or habit of being predominantly concerned with and obtaining gratification from what is outside the self".[3] Extraverts tend to enjoy human interactions and to be enthusiastictalkativeassertive, and gregarious. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings, such as parties, community activities, public demonstrations, and business or political groups. Politics, teaching, sales, managing and brokering are fields that favor extraversion. An extroverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone. They tend to be energized when around other people, and they are more prone to boredom when they are by themselves.


To a certain extent I guess I play that role of an extroverted person in order to get my point across and demand attention of my athletes for however long I need to. on the opposite end of the spectrum I would classify myself as more of an introvert although most people fall into both categories:
"the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life".[3] Some popular writers have characterized introverts as people whose energy tends to expand through reflection and dwindle during interaction.[4] This is similar to Jung's view, although he focused on psychic energy rather than physical energy. Few modern conceptions make this distinction.
The common modern perception is that introverts tend to be more reserved and less outspoken in groups. They often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, using computers, hiking and fishing


As you can tell by the title I would consider myself more in the lines of an introvert.  I kinda have more fun sharing ideas and theorizing about strength, fitness, nutrition rather than small talk or going to parties etc...its an awesome feeling finding out things especially from others.  us introspective types are focused like a laser once we find something we are interested in which can make us half way decent at what we are good at. So when it comes to reading, analyzing, sharing theories I am strong there but at times the extroverted part of teaching, social outings, selling myself can be rough. But I have realized that I won't completely turn this around although I can learn to play this role in small portions.  

Ironically enough even though coaching is really tiring at times it is great.  Its one of the few places where I feel comfortable socializing because it is tied to something I study immensely.  If I was teaching a class on tailgating, I wouldn't have crap to say.I am not saying I have made myself an expert because I do not believe there is such a thing (I will comment on that in another post).  Admittedly I want to be a go to guy for information which i have not reached that point yet but continue to strive for it although I may never reach it, the idea is fun.  

A few strategies that help me stay energized:
  1. I try to get to the box early when it is empty to help me get use to the space.
  2. keep the conversations short but positive :)
  3. only raise my voice if i need to.
  4. outline or do prep work before you teach the class, its easier to teach if you are comfortable with the course material. 
  5. Work my extroversion side in spurts. 
  6. maybe if possible don't teach multiple classes. 
  7. Build rapport on facebook with your athletes. 
  8. You don't have to be the "rah rah" coach carry a quit confidence and people will see through that. 
  9. tell some jokes but work it into the frame of teaching. 
  10. Don't waste energy worrying about being introverted in the first place, play your cards.




No comments:

Post a Comment